Policy Manual and Bylaws
Below you will find the USCR Bylaws as they were revised and approved on October 12, 2012. You can follow the links below to go directly to a particular section of the bylaws. You can also download the bylaws as a Microsoft Office document.
- 4.01 - Membership
- 4.02 - Terms of Office
- 4.03 - Board Member Qualifications
- 4.04 - Vacancies
- 4.05 - Regional Representative
- 4.06 - Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative
- 4.07 - Judicatory Representative
- 4.08 - Resignation
- 4.09 - Function
- 4.10 - Board Meetings
- 4.11 - Election of Officers
- 4.12 - Officer Vacancy
- 4.13 - Officer Compensation
- 6.01 - Appointment
- 6.02 - Eligibility
- 6.03 - Responsibilities
- 6.04 - Vacancies
- 6.05 - Nominating Team
- 7.01 - Election and Duties
- 7.02 - Compensation
- 7.03 - Alternate Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative
- 7.04 - Terms of Office
The South Central Unity Churches Association, Inc.DBA the Unity South Central Region, Inc. and will be called USCR.
The USCR Regional Board of Trustees will be called the Board.
Association of Unity Churches International will be called the Assoiation. [Note: DBA Unity Worldwide Ministries]
SECTION 1.01 - STATEMENT OF PURPOSE – The purpose of this organization is to assist each other in the conduct, operation, and management of the member centers, churches, and study groups through conferences, consultations, prayer and education. These activities will encourage the spiritual and lay growth of the region through its Ministers, Spiritual Leaders, Licensed teachers and Lay Leadership. USCR will hold open discussions and examine progressive ideas that, through this Association and fellowship, will bring about an increasingly effective presentation of the teachings of Jesus Christ as interpreted by Unity School of Christianity of Unity Village, Missouri, the Association of Unity Churches International of Lee’s Summit, Missouri (also called Unity Worldwide Ministries) , and the inspiration received through the founders of Unity School of Christianity, Charles and Myrtle Fillmore. Toward the accomplishment of its purpose, there will be an Annual Regional Conference to conduct the business of USCR. top
SECTION 1.02 – LEADERSHIP – We acknowledge Jesus Christ as our leader and teacher, invisible though ever present, and his teachings as our guide. In all things, we follow the inspiration and illumination of the Christ indwelling as taught by him. The Bible will be our authorized textbook. top
SECTION 2.01 - ELIGIBILITY –The USCR Conference Body will include all ministers and Licensed Teachers who are current members of the Association and reside in USCR, two additional elected representatives from each traditional member ministry, and one additional elected representative from eligible alternative ministries. USCR consists of the states of Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Western Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Wyoming, and the city of Des Moines, Iowa. top
SECTION 2.02 – VOTING –Voting privileges are granted to include all ministers and Licensed Teachers in our Region, regardless of whether or not they are placed in a ministry, and the elected representatives from traditional and alternative ministries as listed in Section 2.01. Licensed Teachers may vote on all matters other than the election of the Regional Representative, and the Alternate Regional Representative. top
SECTION 3.01 – MEETING TIME AND LOCATION –The annual Regional meeting will be held in the last half of the year. The Regional Board will establish the time and location, and teams so designated will accomplish the logistic arrangements, planning of program content and the overall coordination of the Annual Conference. top
SECTION 3.02 – QUORUM –A quorum will constitute the members present and voting at any meeting of which all members have been notified in writing in accordance to Article III, Section 3.03. top
SECTION 3.03 – WRITTEN NOTICE –A written notice stating the date, time and place will be mailed to all members at least 30 days prior to the Annual Conference. top
At least four will be ministers now serving in recognized Unity ministries of USCR, and elected by the Conference Body;
The Regional Representative or his/her alternate;
The Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative or his/her alternate.
Two members may be qualified laypersons duly elected by the Conference Body.
SECTION 4.02 – TERMS OF OFFICE –Each Board Member will hold office for a three-year term. Two Board Members’ terms will expire annually. No Board Member will serve more than two consecutive terms of three years without an interval of one year before serving another term. Two Board Members will be elected by the Conference Body present and voting at the Annual Conference. A USCR Board Member will not serve a Regional and a National board position concurrently. top
- Desires to serve on the Board.
- Three years of field experience as a Minister and completion of at least one year in his/her present ministry.
- Three years of experience as a Licensed Unity Teacher and completion of at least one year in his/her present ministry for the LUT Regional Representative Board position.
- Lay Persons must have five years of leadership experience in a Unity ministry.
- Furthers the work of this Region by his/her active interest, love and support and through regular attendance at Regional Conference.
- Upholds the spiritual purpose, vision and goals of the Region, and the highest interest of its membership.
- Has demonstrated capabilities and is willing to take assigned leadership roles.
- Supports this Region through prayer, time and finances lovingly given.
- Maintains loving, open communication with other Board Members and the ministries in USCR.
- Has the ability, time and prayerful commitment to fill the duties and responsibilities as outlined in the job description for a Board Member contained in the Policy Manual of the South Central Region.
- Ministers have the agreement and support of their Board and Licensed Teachers and lay candidates have the agreement and support of their minister. top
SECTION 4.04 – VACANCIES –In case of a vacancy on the Board, the remaining Board Members will appoint a new member who qualifies to fill the unexpired term of the said vacancy. Serving more than one year of an unexpired term will constitute a full term of office. top
SECTION 4.05 – REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE –The Regional Representative will serve as a member of the Board during his/her term of office. When the Regional Representative or the alternate Regional Representative are unable to participate regularly at Board meetings, or in the Regional Conference activities, or to fulfill Association of Unity Churches duties and responsibilities, their resignation will be accepted after an inquiry of their individual intent is made by a Board representative appointed by the President. Replacement shall be in accordance with Section 5.03.. top
SECTION 4.06 – LICENSED UNITY TEACHER REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE –The Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative will serve as a member of the Board during his/her term of office. When he/she is unable to participate regularly at Board meetings or in the Regional Conference activities, his/her resignation will be accepted after an inquiry of their individual intent is made by a Board representative appointed by the President. Replacement shall be in accordance with Section 7.03. top
SECTION 4.07 -JUDICATORY REPRESENTATIVE - The Judicatory Representative will attend Board meetings in a non-voting capacity. When the Judicatory Representative or the alternate Judicatory Representative are unable to participate regularly at Board meetings, or in the Regional Conference activities, or to fulfill Association of Unity Churches duties and respondibilities, their resignation will be accepted after an inquiry of their individual intent is made by a Board representative appointed by the President. Replacement shall be in accordance with Section 5.03.
SENTATIVE - SECTION 4.08 – RESIGNATION –When a Board member is unable to participate regularly at Board meetings or in the Regional Conference activities; his/her resignation will be accepted after an inquiry of his/her intent will be made by a Board representative appointed by the President. When the President is unable to participate regularly at Board meetings or in the Regional Conference activities, his/her resignation will be accepted after the Regional Representative makes an inquiry of his/her intent. top
SECTION 4.09 – FUNCTION –The Board will transact all fiscal business, and provide appropriate programs for its closed, public and retreat meetings. Suggestions and recommendations for pursuing the purpose of this organization as established in Article I of these Bylaws will be presented to the USCR body. The Board will report in full all actions taken at its meetings and furnish a financial report consisting of an Income and Expense Report, Trial Balance and a Balance Sheet. The Board is specifically charged with the fiscal responsibility of the assets of this corporation, and will fulfill the desires and intentions of the USCR body with promptness and dispatch. top
SECTION 4.10 – BOARD MEETINGS –The Board will meet at least two months prior to the Annual Conference to transact all business pertaining to the Annual Meeting. This will accomplish advance planning, programming, and announcing so orderliness and good timing can be exercised in all required meetings. When the President deems it necessary, he/she will call a special Board meeting. When the Association of Unity Churches Regional Representative deems it necessary, s/he can request that the President call a special Board meeting. Four Board members will constitute a quorum for the transaction of all Board business. When deemed necessary by the Board President, regional business may be conducted by phone or email communications. top
SECTION 4.11 – ELECTION OF OFFICERS – The members of the USCR Board will be selected from the members-at-large in a manner decided by the Board at the first Board meeting after the Annual Meeting or at a Special Meeting called for the purpose of selecting officers. Officers' terms are for one year and are eligible for re-election to additional one-year terms. Any officer, representative, or member-at-large may be removed by a majority vote of the Board of Trustees.
- Officers of the Board of Trustees shall consist of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of the Corporation; shall have the general powers usually vested in the office of President; shall preside at all meetings of the members and trustees; shall be active in the management of the affairs of the Corporation; and shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are carried into effect. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- The Vice-President shall act in all cases for and as the President in the latter's absence or incapacity, and shall perform such other duties as may be required from time-to-time.
- The Secretary shall attend all sessions of the Board and all meetings of the members and act as clerk thereof, and record or cause to be recorded all the votes of the Corporation and minutes of all its transactions, which shall be kept in a book for that purpose. The Secretary shall keep, or cause to be kept, an up-to-date statement of policies in a book kept for that purpose; shall give or cause to be given, notice of all meetings of the members and of the Board of Trustees; and shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the President. The Secretary shall keep in safe custody the corporate seal and, when authorized by the Board, affix it to any instrument requiring it.
- The Treasurer shall have custody of the corporate funds and securities and shall keep full and accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements in books belonging to the Corporation, and shall keep the monies of the Corporation in a separate account to the credit of the Corporation. The Treasurer shall disburse the funds of the Corporation as may be ordered by the Board of Trustees, taking proper vouchers for such disbursements, and shall render to the President and trustees, at the regular meetings of the Board, or whenever they may require it, an account of all financial transactions and of the financial condition of the Corporation. In the event that the Board chooses to contract these functions, the Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the proper handling of the region's accounts. top
SECTION 4.12 – OFFICER VACANCY – A vacancy in an office will be filled by appointment of the Board at its next scheduled or special business meeting. The appointee will serve during the unexpired term of the said office. When a Board officer is unable to participate regularly at meetings or in USCR activities, his/her resignation will be accepted after an inquiry is made of his/her intent by a Board representative appointed by the President.. top
SECTION 4.13 – OFFICER COMPENSATION –Officers may be reimbursed for their expenses for travel to Board meetings, or otherwise incurred in the performance of their duties and responsibilities, as directed by the USCR body. top
SECTION 5.01 – ELECTION AND DUTIES –QUALIFICATIONS, DUTIES AND ELECTION – USCR will elect a Regional Representative to serve on the Standards Ministry Team and as liaison between the Region and the Association.
- QUALIFICATIONS – Candidates for Regional Representative will have at least 5 years experience in field ministry, 2 years of which must be in current ministry; and successful completion of peacemaking skills training or its equivalent.
- DUTIES - The Representative will handle all duties that are decided and determined by the Association and the region, including advising, consulting and training in regional ministries. S/he will distribute to the members of USCR informational reports pertaining to all pertinent decisions and determinations made by the Board of Trustees of the Association. S/he will be a member of USCR's Board; s/he will convey those determinations which the members of USCR will deem necessary, to the Board of Trustees of the Association for review and consideration.
- ELECTION – The Nominating Team will present a slate to the conference body for election and approval with the nominees for Judicatory Representative and Alternate Judicatory Representative pre-determined by agreement of the nominees. The nominee who receives the largest number of votes will be elected Judicatory Representative. The nominee who receives the second largest number of votes when the Judicatory Representative is elected will be the Alternate Judicatory Representative. S/he will assume the duties of the Judicatory Representative only in the event that the Judicatory Representative is unable to fulfill his/her term of office and s/he will complete the unexpired term. The Board will appoint an Alternate Judicatory Representative when there is a vacancy in said office to serve until the next election of the Judicatory Representative. top
SECTION 5.02 – COMPENSATION –The Judicatory Representative will be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the performance of his/her duties and responsibilities as determined by the Board. The Board may determine adequate compensation over and above said expenses, to be paid on a monthly basis, or as mutually agreed upon by the Board and the Judicatory Representative. top
SECTION 5.03 – TERMS OF OFFICE – The Judicatory Representative is elected for a four year term without term limit. top
SECTION 6.01 – APPOINTMENT – All teams, chairpersons and Board representatives, with the exception of the Nominating Committee, shall be appointed by the Board President with the approval of the Board. The President will be an ex-officio member of all teams. top
SECTION 6.02 – ELIGIBILITY –Team members will be appointed from the USCR membership of Unity ministers, Licensed Teachers and laypersons. top
SECTION 6.03 – RESPONSIBILITIES – Team chairpersons will call and conduct their respective meetings. They will pursue the discharge of duties assigned by the Board. Written reports will be provided on all activities in which they are engaged prior to regularly scheduled Board meetings. Copies of said reports will be mailed to the President and the Recording Secretary. top
SECTION 6.04 – VACANCIES – When any team chairperson, program coordinator, facilitator or team member is unable to participate regularly at said team meetings or USCR activities, his/her resignation will be accepted after an inquiry of his/her intent is made by a Board representative appointed by the President. top
- At the Annual Membership Meeting, the membership will elect two of its Active members to serve on the Nominating Team for the next year's election.
- The Board will elect one of its Trustees.
- An active Licensed Unity Teacher serving in the region will be elected to the Nominating Team by the Licensed Unity Teachers in attendance at the annual regional conference.
- In the event of a vacancy, the Board will select a person/s from the active membership within one week of notification.
- This team will select one nominee for each Board vacancy. This team will also select at least two nominees for the positions of Regional Representative and Alternate Regional Representative and at least two nominees for the positions of Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative and Alternate Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative. All nominees must be active participants in the region. Nomination of qualified individuals from the regional membership may be submitted to the Nominating Team in writing no less than 30 days prior to the Annual Conference. A copy of the Board Member Requirements will be in the registration packet, and the requirements will be read by the Secretary prior to the election process. top
SECTION 7.01 – ELECTION AND DUTIES –The Conference body will elect a Licensed Teacher Regional Representative for a four-year term at the appropriate annual Conference. The Licensed Unity Teachers Regional Representative is responsible for maintaining communications among the Licensed Teachers of the Region and with the USCR Board; for presenting proposals from the Licensed Teachers to the Board and after approval, to the Conference Body. He/She will keep in continuing communication with the Licensed Teacher section of the Association to disseminate pertinent information, and to act as liaison for the Licensed Teachers with the Association. Replacement shall be in accordance with Section 7.03. top
SECTION 7.02 – COMPENSATION – The Licensed Unity Teachers Regional Representative will be reimbursed for his/her expenses for travel to Board meetings, or otherwise incurred in the performance of his/her duties and responsibilities as directed by the USCR Conference Body. top
SECTION 7.03 – ALTERNATE LICENSED UNITY TEACHER REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE –The Nominating Team will present a slate to the conference body for election and approval with the nominees for Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative and Alternate Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative pre-determined by agreement of the nominees. OR at least 2 nominees will be presented to the conference body for vote. The nominee who receives the largest number of votes will be elected Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative. The nominee who receives the second largest number of votes when the Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative is elected will be the Alternate. He/She will assume the duties of the Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative only in the event that the Licensed Unity Teacher Regional Representative is unable to fulfill his/her term of office and he/she will complete the unexpired term. When there is a vacancy to said office, an alternate will be elected to serve out the unexpired term by the Conference body at the next Annual Conference. top
SECTION 8.01 –SUPPORT – USCR will be supported by the tithes and love offerings of the members of this organization. Legacies, bequests, endowments and any excess income over expenses generated by any Regional retreat or activity will be deposited through the Treasurer. A Finance Team will be established for investments and fiscal operations. top
SECTION 8.02 –CONTRACTS – All contracts approved by the Board must be signed by an officer of the Board. top
SECTION 8.03 –SIGNATURES – The Treasurer is authorized to sign checks for ordinary, approved business transactions and others as approved by the Board.. top
SECTION 9.01 –Should this corporation dissolve; all property and funds remaining after the payment of the debts of the Corporation will be delivered to the Association of Unity Churches International, a non-profit corporation organized under the laws of the State of Georgia, for religious purposes. Such funds or property will be for the use and benefit of the Association as may be determined by the Board of Trustees. Upon re-establishment of a Regional organization of churches and centers within the geographical limits of the Unity South Central Region as set out by the Association of Unity Churches, the Association will make available to said organization an amount of money equivalent to that received from the dissolution.
Should the Association of Unity Churches no longer exist, any assets of this corporation remaining after dissolution will be delivered to the Unity School of Christianity, Unity Village, Missouri. Should Unity School of Christianity no longer exist, any assets remaining of this corporation after dissolution will be disposed of by a Court of Competent Jurisdiction of the County in which the principal office of the corporation is then located, exclusively for such purpose or to such organization or organizations, as said Court will determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for purposes set out in Section 5.01 ( c ) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. top
SECTION 10 – Amendments to these Bylaws must be made by active members of USCR at the Annual Membership Meeting. Written notice setting forth the proposed amendments must be made available to all members at least thirty days prior to the required membership meeting. An affirmative vote of two-thirds (67%) f mall embers presen and voting t will be necessary to pass any amendse ments to the Bylaws. These Bylaws fully supersede all previous Bylaws adopted by USCR. top
Approved October 12, 2012 by the conference body.
Paul John Roach, President Joy Walker, Secretary